Sharin' the Love

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Canker Sores yuck and ouch!

Lately I've been getting a lot of canker sores and I hardly ever get them. I think I can count on one hand the instances I've gotten one throughout my life. But in the few weeks I've gotten three!!! Ewww! So the student in me decided to do a little research to find out what the deal was. Let me just say I heart wikipedia! It is such an amazing tool! I also love medical websites hehe. From one I found that "Canker sores can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies (especially iron, folic acid, or vitamin B-12), menstrual periods, hormonal changes, food allergies, and similar situations." -http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001993 What triggered my interest was the dietary deficiencies and emotional stress, since the others really didn't apply to my case because I rarely got them before. I searched Vitamin B12 and folic acid, since those were the ones that I was the most familiar with. I found the following on wikipedia: "Vitamin B12 is found in foods that come from animals, including fish and shellfish, meat (especially liver), poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products.[25] Eggs are often mentioned as a good B12 source, but they also contain a factor that blocks absorption.[29]" -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12 "Certain foods are very high in folate: Leafy vegetables such as spinach, asparagus, turnip greens Legumes such as dried or fresh beans, peas and lentils Egg yolks.[13] Baker's yeast Fortified grain products (pasta, cereal, bread); some breakfast cereals (ready-to-eat and others) are fortified with 25% to 100% of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for folic acid Sunflower seeds Liver and liver products also contain high amounts of folate Kidney[13]" -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folic_acid So now thanks to my research and can better feed myself the things that I need and hopefully not get canker sores anymore lol. Sorry for this long educational post, but I have come to appreciate the internet as an awesome tool to further your education, even if you aren't in school :) Woohoo for education!

No comments:

Post a Comment